Last Updated on
Making a cabled yarn can add variety to your spinning. If the yarn you have is too thin for your project you can double the thickness by using this cabling technique.
- Start with a yarn that has been plied already and attach it to the leader of your spinning wheel. The plied yarn can be your handspun or any commercially spun yarn.
- Note the direction of the spin of the original plied yarn. You will be spinning in the same direction as the original ply. The yarn will be very overtwisted.
- Spin a second bobbin of the same yarn (or another type of yarn) adding the same amount of twist to it as the first bobbin. (same direction as the first – over twisted)
- Remove the second bobbin from the wheel. Now ply both bobbins of yarn together, spinning in the opposite direction.
- Plying in the opposite direction, you should get a balanced, cabled yarn.
How Long does it take to knit
How to Make an Alum Mordant
How to Mordant Cotton and Linen Yarns
How to Sew Handwoven Fabric
How to Spin a Cabled Yarn
How to Make a Tin Mordant
How to Make a Twisted Fringe
How to Use a Corker
How to Wash Fleece
How to Felt
How to Use a McMorran Balance