Sandalwood (Pterocarpus antalinus) comes from India and Indonesia. Sandalwood natural dyestuff yields oranges, browns and auburn shades of colour.
- Use clean, premordanted fleece or yarn (wools, cotton, silk, linen).
- Measure the Sandalwood into a small dish. (200% WOG)
- Add alcohol to cover and let stand for 30 minues.
- Place the treated Sandalwood into a nylon stocking and add into a heated dyepot to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add clean, premordanted fibre or yarn into the dyepot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Allow the dyepot to cool.
- Remove the fibre or yarn, rinse and let dry.
Try alum or tin mordants for different shades of colour.
How To Make an Alum Mordant
How To Make a Tin Mordant
Natural Dyes and Mordant Recipes
MSDS – Aluminum Potassium Sulfate
Natural Dyes – EBay Watch
Soda Ash - 1 Pound -
Current price: $9.47
"Jacquard Alum 1lb- , Set Of 2" -
Current price: $18.16
FREE SHIPPING 2010mm Tribal Tribe Old Textile Sunkit RITUAL BLANKET CLOTH FABRIC -
Current price: $159.99
OLD TEXTILE 1800mm PUA KUMBU WAR SHIELD Blanket Ancestral Ritual Cloth Fabric -
Current price: $339.99
Natural dyed w/ avocado superwash wool/nylon sock yarn, 430 yards, 4.0 oz -
Current price: $20.00
Your guide to all fiber arts