Red Sandalwood comes for a tree native to India and Indonesia. The dyestuff is from the heartwood and yields oranges, browns and auburn shades of colour.
- Use clean, premordanted wool or yarn.
- Measure the sandalwood (200% WOG) into a small dish.
- Add alcohol to cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Put treated Sandalwood into a nylon stocking and add into dyepot filled with hot water and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add premordanted fibre or yarn into the dyepot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Allow the dyepot to cool.
- Remove the fibre or yarn from the dyepot, rinse and let dry.
Try alum or tin premordants and/or ammonia afterbaths for different colours.