Brazilwood natural dye gives crimsons, purples and pinks on premordanted yarns.
- Use clean, premordanted wool or yarn.
- Measure the Brazilwood chips (100% – 200% WOG) into a small dish.
- Add alcohol to cover, and let stand for 2 hours.
- Put treated Brazilwood into a nylon stocking and add into a heated dyepot for an hour.
- Add the premordanted fibre or yarn into the dyepot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Allow the dyepot to cool.
- Remove the fibre or yarn from the dyepot, rinse and let dry.
You can re-use the Brazilwood chips in a later dyebath, though they will release less colour.
Try alum or tin mordants for different shades of colour.
Try ammonia or tin afterbaths.
How To Make an Alum Mordant
How To Make a Tin Mordant
Natural Dyes and Mordant Recipes
MSDS – Aluminum Potassium Sulfate
Natural Dyes – EBay Watch
Soda Ash - 1 Pound -
Current price: $9.47
"Jacquard Alum 1lb- , Set Of 2" -
Current price: $18.16
FREE SHIPPING 2010mm Tribal Tribe Old Textile Sunkit RITUAL BLANKET CLOTH FABRIC -
Current price: $159.99
OLD TEXTILE 1800mm PUA KUMBU WAR SHIELD Blanket Ancestral Ritual Cloth Fabric -
Current price: $339.99
Natural dyed w/ avocado superwash wool/nylon sock yarn, 430 yards, 4.0 oz -
Current price: $20.00
Your guide to all fiber arts