Sugar beetroots give rust and reddish colored natural dye, though the colour is not very colorfast and fades after time.
- Premordant 1/2 lb. wool fleece or yarn with Alum.
- Clean and cut 2 lb. of beets into small pieces and cook in 4 quarts of water for 1 hour.
- Strain the liquid, removing the beets.
- Add the premordanted wool yarn or fleece into the dyebath.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse the wool. Let dry.
Try using canned beets to see if you obtain a better colour.
Try dyeing the leaves. They may yield a yellow colour.
How To Mordant Cotton and Linen
How To Make a Tin Mordant
How To Wash Fleece
Natural Dyes and Mordant Recipes
MSDS – Aluminum Potassium Sulfate
Natural Dyes – EBay Watch
Soda Ash - 1 Pound -
Current price: $9.47
"Jacquard Alum 1lb- , Set Of 2" -
Current price: $18.16
FREE SHIPPING 2010mm Tribal Tribe Old Textile Sunkit RITUAL BLANKET CLOTH FABRIC -
Current price: $159.99
OLD TEXTILE 1800mm PUA KUMBU WAR SHIELD Blanket Ancestral Ritual Cloth Fabric -
Current price: $339.99
Natural dyed w/ avocado superwash wool/nylon sock yarn, 430 yards, 4.0 oz -
Current price: $20.00