Red Sandalwood comes for a tree native to India and Indonesia. The dyestuff is from the heartwood and yields oranges, browns and auburn shades of colour.
- Use clean, premordanted wool or yarn.
- Measure the sandalwood (200% WOG) into a small dish.
- Add alcohol to cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Put treated Sandalwood into a nylon stocking and add into dyepot filled with hot water and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add premordanted fibre or yarn into the dyepot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Allow the dyepot to cool.
- Remove the fibre or yarn from the dyepot, rinse and let dry.
Try alum or tin premordants and/or ammonia afterbaths for different colours.
More Organic Dye Recipes
Natural Dye Books
Wild Color, Revised and Updated Edition: The Complete Guide to Making and Using Natural Dyes
This comprehensive book outlines all the necessary equipment, how to select fibers and plant parts, choose the right methods for mordanting and dyeing, test color modifiers and the fastness of dyed colors, and obtain a range of gorgeous colors from every plant, from alter to woad, shown in more than 250 swatches.
UK: Wild Color
Organic Dyes and Mordants
Sorry, no items were found to display. That could mean that these items are currently not available or that there is a temporary problem.