Rhubarb roots can yield a red or orange natural dye depending on the species
- Chop the rhubarb roots into small pieces and place into a large dyepot filled with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and simmer the rhubarb roots 1 – 2 hours to extract the color.
- Add clean, pre-mordanted wool to the dyepot.
- Reheat the dyepot to just below simmering temperature.
- For clear yellow shades, turn off the heat, and let the wool sit in the dyepot overnight to absorb the color.
- For darker shades of yellow/green simmer the wool for x-about an hour. Then turn off the heat and let the wool absorb the remaining color.
- After dyeing, remove the wool, rinse in cool water and let dry.
Rhubarb Root Dye
Rhubarb roots soaked in ammonia.