The leaves of the Clematis make a very nice yellow natural plant dye.
- Cut Clematis leaves into small pieces and soak in water overnight.
- The next day add the Clematis mixture into a large dyepot filled with hot water.
- Simmer the mixture on low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Add clean pre-mordanted wool fleece or yarn into the dyebath.
- Simmer on low heat for 2 -3 hours.
- Remove the dyepot from the heat and leave the wool in overnight. It will continue to absorb more colour.
- Remove the wool from the dyepot and rinse in cool water. Let dry.
Using more leaves and leaving the wool in longer will produce darker colours.
Try different mordants for various shades of yellow and green colours. (e.g. Alum, Tin, Iron)
How To Make an Alum Mordant
How To Make a Tin Mordant
Natural Dyes and Mordant Recipes
MSDS – Aluminum Potassium Sulfate
Natural Dyes – EBay Watch
Soda Ash for Fiber Reactive Dyes - 1 Pound -
Current price: $14.15
Chestnut Extract 8oz -
Current price: $9.95
Chestnut Extract 2oz -
Current price: $2.80
Chestnut Extract 4oz -
Current price: $5.20
Chestnut Extract 1oz -
Current price: $1.65
Soda Ash - 1 Pound -
Current price: $9.47