This is a recipe I found for making a natural dye using banana peels. I haven’t tried it yet, so if you do, please let me know the results.
- Chop banana skins into small pieces.
- Cover them with water and let the mixture sit for a few days in a warm location, stirring the mixture each day.
- The mixture will get a bit smelly, so it is best to store it outside, covered. You can add some baking soda and sugar to the mixture.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or nylons stocking to remove the pulp.
- Add the liquid to a dyepot filled with water. Simmer for x-about an hour.
- Add clean, premordanted wool to the dyepot.
- Simmer for an hour or until sufficient colour is obtained.
- Allow the dyepot to cool. Then remove the dyed wool.
- Rinse and let dry.
Natural and Plant Dyes
[amazon_search design=”2″ width=”300″ market_place=”” color_theme=”Default” default_search_term=”natural dyes” search_index=”Books” columns=”1″ rows=”3″ outer_background_color=”#8aafe5″ inner_background_color=”” background_color=”” border_color=”” header_text_color=”#FFFFFF” linked_text_color=”” body_text_color=”” shuffle_products=”True” show_image=”True” show_price=”True” show_rating=”True” rounded_corners=”False”/]