During a Renaissance Festival that I attended, Celeste Colbourne of Spinsters Loft, gave a demonstration of using a Lucet to make braiding. The Lucet creates a flat braid that can be used to embellish the edges of a handwoven article.
- Begin by threading the yarn through the hole in the bottom of the Lucet
- Make a figure 8 loop around the 2 prongs of the lucet
- loop the yarn a second time around the right prong and turn the lucet around
- Lift the bottom loop over the top loop
- Slip the looped yarn over the prong
- Give a tug on the bottom of the yarn to tighten the knot into place
- Wrap the yarn around the other side of the lucet prong
- Lift the bottom loop over the top loop and over the prong
- Give a tug on the bottom yarn to pull the yarn into place
- Repeat this procedure until the cord is of sufficient length
- Top view of the Lucet cording
- The finished Lucet cord
Lucet Braiding – You Tube
Hundreds of sumptuous braided designs are arranged by structure, from twisted and knotted pieces to more elaborate looped and woven examples.
UK: 200 Braids to Twist