I had a pile of my children’s t-shirts from high school, all x-l. There must have been one from every activity. They represented a good chunk of money. I thought I could transform them into rugs.
I used my rotary cutter to make 2.5″ wide continuous strips and rolled them onto cardboard tubes. I got 18-24 ft per shirt.
I had done some reading about weaving and knew the basics. The wonderful people in the chat room encouraged me to grab my daughter’s 20″ rigid heddle loom, any kind of warp thread and go for it. That is just what I did.
I warped 5 per inch with crochet thread that was laying around. Grabbed a balll of shirt and wove. I used the whole ball just to see how far one shirt would go.
Rug#1 finished 15″ x 32″. Not great but looks good infront of my washer.
Rug#2 finished 17″x 32″. I controlled the draw-in better. The colors were planned.
The dishcloths are 10 epi and are made of cotton yarn. If your monitor isn’t too bright you just might see the pastel colors. they are app. 11×11 inches.
The quilt isn’t woven, but I thought I’d show it off, too.